Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Window Seat Epiphany

Update: See the final desk reveal here.

Okay so this is my second epiphany in about two weeks! Is that a little? I feel pretty psyched about having two house DIY epiphanies in two weeks (the first was here) but then I wonder if I should be having more...

The double desk in our bedroom has been on my mind a lot. Of course it is our biggest current project (we finally started building here). But in the early morning hours while feeding Archer, IT came to me!

IT being a window seat in the middle of our double desk. I seriously have no idea where the idea came from and I honestly can't remember seeing any other examples online (I've since found a couple ideas online like this).



So here is what our original plan was suppose to sort of look like. But see how the desk was going to overlap and go higher than the window frame.

And as I get a better grasp of how I want to decorate the whole room (so far I know what color scheme, headboard/bed frame I want (more on that later), our nightstands and the desk), I started feeling like this might be more "officey" looking than I want it to. I mean it is a bedroom so it needs to feel to warm, relaxing, romantic, comfortable, blah blah blah....


In order to get a visual, I asked Aaron to carry up ALL four cabinet boxes (they're far from finished) to our bedroom so that I could lay them out to get a good idea of how they will fit in.

First is the original idea of four cabinets - imagine three drawer filing cabinets on the ends/corners, doors on the center two cabinets, all raised up 1 1/2" with a base and a desktop going straight across the full length of the wall.

Like this...(please ignore Leo's glowing eyes - he really is a sweet kitty)

Here's an idea of what it might look like with a window seat - there's a couple different configurations we could do for the ends but to start I envision drawers on the left corner cabinet and a door on the right corner cabinet. The middle, window seat (it's already in use by Leo!) would be a side by side, three drawer filing cabinet.

Like this...(I've also added some shelves just for kicks)

If we go with this new idea, we may have to cut some losses on the wood (we could salvage what we don't use) but I think we need to start with a new piece of plywood to build the window seat part since it will be longer than any box we have already built. We could probably piece something together with the salvaged pieces but because it's going to hold a ton of files and an adult (and probably a kid at the same time), I think we're going to be a overly cautious that it is solid, stable and won't break under my Aaron's weight.

So what do you think? Should we go with the original plan or change it and switch to the window seat idea? Do you have a window seat and love it? Have you had to cut your losses halfway through a project and change things up?? Do you know how to get rid of glowing kitty eyes with your camera settings?

Looks like we'll be taking several days off from building while we figure this one out but I'll have an update soon!

11 comments:

  1. I love it! I vote absolute yes on the window seat and yea, you should just cut your losses on the plywood (you can probably find somewhere else you need to use the box(es) you already made and don't need in the new configuration. In bad news for my husband, you have just inspired a fabulous idea for making one of the bedrooms function as office space. Seriously, I have windows just like that in every bedroom we have. How did I never think of this before. You're brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I was also thinking that we could probably make use for the boxes (there will be 2) somewhere else too! I think my husband cringes every time I tell him I have a new idea!

      Delete
  2. Love the window seat idea, and I am sure you will find other uses for that plywood! I think you should go for it!

    (My kitties always look possessed whenever I use a flash).

    ReplyDelete
  3. window seat all the way. we have one in little guy's room and love it. found you on yhl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes definitely a window seat! now if only we could get it finished...lol

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on online marketing.
    Regards
    Also visit my site - www.Clickprofesor.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are actually great ideas in about blogging.
    You have touched some nice points here. Any way keep up wrinting.
    Here is my page ; globalfriendsnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, its good article on the topic of media print, we all understand media is a
    impressive source of facts.
    My web page : best prices

    ReplyDelete
  7. bookmarked!!, I really like your web site!
    Look into my homepage ; catalunyagai.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe that is among the so much vital info for me.
    And i am happy reading your article. However wanna observation on few basic issues,
    The site style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D.
    Excellent activity, cheers
    my site > attempt to quit smoking

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am genuinely glad to glance at this website posts which
    includes plenty of helpful data, thanks for providing such information.
    Feel free to surf my homepage - effective marketing

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you've got something you want to say or ask or anything at all (obviously within reason), leave me a note!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...