Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Little Science-y DIY

There's nothing like a little old-fashioned deadline (or a Pinterest Challenge by YHL!) to light a fire under my hiney.

So in an effort to get some wall art up, I got off my bum and got to work to make these matching customized periodic table elements.

For anyone following along, you know that my house is in desperate need for some wall art. I've said it before and I'll say it again - it is so easy to get caught up in the big stuff (i.e. building a double desk with window seat for organization) that you ignore the little things (adding pictures of your kids or artwork you love).

I've also realized that those little things really make a house. You can have nice curtains, a fancy kitchen backsplash or new furniture but if you don't have art, pictures, meaningful decor, etc...then the house will not have the life and personality of those that live there. So I'm on it! And I just want to say a quick thanks for this challenge as I've really been wanting do a lotta DIY wall art for some time (I've got a list of ideas in my notebook!).

Making my periodic table element wall art was actually very simple and not too expensive but before we get to the deets, I want to show you my two main items of inspiration.
#1. I love how these simple black and white elements can add a little nerdy wall art to our house. You can find more details about these element wall decals here via Apartment Therapy.

#2. I love the idea of personalizing an element so this one for a couple's wedding day or anniversary is very appealing and would make a fun gift!

So....I made a combination of the two. They're part real element, part real life. I like the idea of making some art to remind us our wedding day but I thought it'd be cool to have one for each of our kids instead.

So after deciding what information I wanted to include and drawing it out on paper (I also consulted hubby for his opinion), I whipped up a couple of slides in PowerPoint that looked like this (PowerPoint is a great tool for those of who don't have/can't afford Photoshop).

Lucky for me, the first two letters of both kids' names are also symbols of two elements on the periodic table. So Ru for Ruby is really Ruthenium and Ar for Archer is really Argon. Since I was able to choose a real element symbol for their names, I decided to make the main number correspond with the element (i.e. Ar is the 18th element on the table).

Here's where the super embarrassing part comes. Right now as I'm writing this post and refer back to a real periodic table, I've realized that I picked the wrong number for Ruby. Ru is really 44 but I used 45 in error (which is Rh). Crap! Oh well, it is too late now to fix it for this challenge.

In what would normally be the full name of the element, I typed out the full names of the kids. And where you'd see the atomic weight of the element (which would look like this for Ru - 101.07), their birth date is listed (which would look like this for Ruby - 12.12.09).

One of my favorite parts is the A+C in the upper right hand corner. It means that Aaron + Crystal together make Ruby and Archer. I'm not sure on the scientificness of this but it makes me think of adding ions, protons and neurons to get to the element or how two hydrogens and one oxygen make water. So my thinking on this was science based but probably not accurate at all. Shocking! (Have I told you Aaron's the science-y, math-y engineer-y type?)

I had a lot of fun actually taking an idea to completion and making these element wall arts for Ruby and Archer. The kids being here really just comes down to science (you know, the birds and the bees) and they're what life is all about for us and it's a fun way to show that.

To get them up on the wall, I ran down to Ikea today for a couple of frames which were five smackeroos a piece. The paper and ink were free since we already had the printer set up and ready to go. Ten dollars a piece for customized and framed wall art = not too shabby!

We got the frames centered on the wall and hung them up. This part wasn't as quick as it should have been since I had to patch up some old holes and paint over some pencil lines that had been there for too long before we could hang the final product. I hope to have a larger collection of frames/art for a wall collage so they'll probably move when we get enough together to do that but for now it is nice just to have them up.

Did you take the Pinterest Challenge? What fun stuff have you been DIYing? Have you ever had to give the birds and bees talk before? We've got that coming up someday (years away) and it is never too soon to be prepare. Haha!

17 comments:

  1. If you are interested in more "art" ideas, I have framed fabric before! the periodic table is a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely thought of doing something like that with fabric but I have to find the fabric first! I'll definitely check your site out for it!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE IT!!! Definately going to try those. Nice job :-D

    I'm putting some finishing touches on my entry and will post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the multiple comments but did you do a little something different with your blog layout? Looks good.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Let me know how they turn out if you get to them! Can't wait to see your entry!

      I am trying to update the my blog style a little. I started with a canned blog background which I decided was too busy for me and so now I'm working in the colors that we're using in our house to make it feel a little bit more like me. Still need to work on the header now though.

      I LOVE your comments...you can leave as many as you want! haha

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this! I have to make this for my husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L.! So glad you like it! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. What a clever idea! I don't have any kids yet but I think I might make some to represent my boyfriend and I :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely don't need kids for this one! I was thinking it'd be fun to with pets too or even to represent random important/special events! Have fun and let me know if you do it!

      Delete
  5. Super cute! I might have to do something like this for my little guy's nursery. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for stopping by Corner of Main =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Good luck with the nursery!

      Delete
  6. I'm a science nerd so I'm totally loving these. I love that your kids names work with the Elements!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah!! So glad you like them! I know that was pure luck I guess...I'm wondering if we have another one if I'll have to plan the name around the periodic table so that I can make another one of these for them! haha. I think it'd also be cool to do these for a pet too.

      Delete
  7. LOVE THIS!!!! My kids/dog also are elements. Er, Fr and Lu. Can you share your font and size? I am making these this weekend....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JennieM - So glad you like them! I am so curious to know what your kids/dog's names are now! haha - those first two letters are such a tease! As far as sizing, it really depends on the frame/mat that you have. For the ikea frames that fit a little smaller than 5x7, the symbol (e.g. Er) font is Cambria at 116, the big number is Microsoft Sans Serif at 60, the parents' initials in the upper right are Calibri at 18, full name is Plantagenet Cherokee at 14 and the birth date is Euphemia at 18. You could definitely find comparable/better fonts if you don't have any of the ones that I mentioned. Send me a picture when you finish!! Ooh and I used a black border too. Good luck!

      Delete
  8. I thing you are more interested for wall art. It is the good work form you, Because every body want to decor to their house by their self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea!!!! You did a great job and it's super cute. I am doing a science themed bridal shower and I am going to make these for the couple ( I am the MOH). The only thing is I am not so good with powerpoint and making it look this good. Is there any chance you would share your powerpoint document? It would be sooooooo appreciated!!! I am crossing my fingers.....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you've got something you want to say or ask or anything at all (obviously within reason), leave me a note!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...