Sunday, November 11, 2012

Owl That She Wants

Quick note: I want to say welcome to my blog if you're visiting from YHL but I'll be honest, I feel like it is a presumptuous that if someone did click over they'd want to hang around. BUT, if you do want to hang around, welcome and I'm so happy to have you over. And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, you can read more on it here.

There is nothing I like better than a really quick project to make the house a happier place! We've been noticing a trend where we're doing less house project-y type stuff during the week and more on the weekend. And it was a busy weekend! We got a trip to Ikea in  #itwasamadhouse, Michaels for some crafty stuff and we raked about 547 bags of leaves #imsosore.

I didn't get a proper before picture of the project because we worked so hastily to get it done today but our speed did payoff because we were able to knock this one out in about forty minutes. It all started with this rattan owl that I picked up at the Restore a few weeks ago for just one dollar! I knew I'd hang it up but I wasn't sure how I'd tweak it to make it fit our house.

After some thought, I decided to put it inside a fabric-backed frame so we made the trek (about 20 minutes) to Ikea yesterday to pick a frame (we ended up with the Virserum). Then, in an effort to get a project done and something on our kitchen walls, I came up with the idea of using the living room curtains that I accidentally dyed (more on that here) as the fabric. It seemed like a great way to tie the living room and kitchen together and I would use something that I already had.

So first up, I set the cardboard back of the frame onto the frabic and after deciding where to place it, I cut around with 2-3 inches extra fabric all around.

I was about to tape it down but then decided I had to iron it out first (linen sure does get wrinkly!). 

Once it was all nice and smooth, I taped it down with regular box tape. 

After setting in the frame, it doesn't look half-bad just as it is!

I laid the owl down making sure he was right in the center and to hold him down, we decided to use just a few staples. So Aaron ran out to the garage, got it ready and started squeezing!

Now that it was ready to hang, we realized we might be out of our extra picture hanging hooks (you know those jagged ones) but Aaron saved the day when he found some!!! Yes! So he tapped that into the frame and put a whole in the wall and we were done!

Hooray for some wall art in the kitchen!

And double hooray for the fact that it was only a $14 project ($13 for the frame and $1 for the owl) and only a forty minute task.

I've added some other natural material elements into the kitchen shelves so the owl ties in nicely with that (and you'll see that soon). I really love these natural colors and probably partially explains how I haven't been able to paint some of my other furniture pieces like tv console or entryway dressers.

So how did you fare this weekend? Did you do any quick projects? I did pick up a new piece of furniture this weekend that I will be painting (I promise, it is too ugly not too), unlike other pieces.

Linked up here!

31 comments:

  1. That's really cute! Nice work. The owl was a great pick up in the first place :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asten - so glad you stopped by! It was a lucky find!

      Delete
  2. Over here from YHL - love this project! The owl is an awesome find on its own but that fabric behind it really makes it pop =)

    B
    www.atightsqueeze.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love that little owl and that fabric backdrop works so well with your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caitlin! It is nice to get some color/wall art in there that I like!

      Delete
  4. that really looks great! love the owl

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have taken an ordinary owl and turned it into a work of art! I heart those colors and think he's gorgeous. Lurve! Hx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute idea Crystal! Pulling the repeat colors from the living room and repurposing the drapes is a perfect use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know I find myself drawn to other color schemes but I'm really trying to stick to what I've started and give it a shot, especially since I still love it!

      Delete
  7. Very cute idea cristal. I love the picture it beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! Seriously, this is clever and is giving me inspiration for lots of other things. Also, thank you so much for stopping by Home Everyday and your comment. It is truly appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad and I feel the same way! ;)

      Delete
  9. I am here, I am hanging and I am hooked! This is such a fun and imaginative piece of art. I love it.
    Then someone visits my blog and decide to follow, I feel very honored, indeed. We just start blogging and showing a bit of who we are . . . taking a huge leap . . . and hoping that someone out there in blog-land likes who we are and what we do. It is a little bit frightening, each time I hit the publish button, but I have met so many creative like-minded people and friendships have bloomed. Just be yourself . . . you have so much to offer.
    I am going to put you on my front page blog-list.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Your newest blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How stinkin cute!! I love it. I need to get some wise old owls to watch over my house. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this artwork so much! The colours and the scale and the owl....all fabulous! Have a lovely week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie!!! I took the owl to the store with me in hopes of finding the perfect frame and we're happy with it!

      Delete
  12. Awhhh!!! That's super cute.

    Smiles!
    Sammy ~ Renew Redo

    ReplyDelete
  13. big sigh. it seems like your restore is way better than my restore. this is such a fun and quirky thing, and your mcm tv stant...gah, i need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. persistance does pay off - I go almost every week. In fact I haven't been in a couple weeks I'm feeling a little withdrawal! LOL

      Delete
  14. oh, and you know, i'm loving your post titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks...i'll admit every once in a while a funny one comes up but usually they're lame!

      Delete
  15. this is so cute! I love anything with owls =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you've got something you want to say or ask or anything at all (obviously within reason), leave me a note!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...