Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pendant Light for the Win

I have a little service announcement to make before diving into lighting today - 29 Rue House is finally on Facebook! Just click like below so we can be friends on Facebook! And if you don't have time right now, you can find it on the right sidebar later. :)

A while back, I mentioned that we ordered a light to hang over the sink in the kitchen. We had been looking for a while but couldn't find something we liked + was the right price. So after thinking about it for a week or so, I decided that this bubble glass pendant from Young House Love's new lighting collection with Shades of Light would meet both of those criteria.

It was on backorder so it was a couple of weeks before it arrived. We finally decided to start working on it last Sunday and of course there was a set back from the beginning! Once we took down our old light, we were left with an unpainted area larger than the new light's canopy. So Aaron had to smooth out the edges with some joint compound and sanding blocks dampened to keep the dust level down.

Then I primed and painted it which was a nice quick task so that by two night's time, we were ready for install!

Aaron installed it after dinner a few nights ago. It was a little tricky but he got it!

It is hard to get a good shot at night so I took these pictures in the morning - check out all that fog outside! And you can see our DIY privacy fence too! We had a HUGE wind storm the other night and those suckers didn't waver. Our trash cans and recycling bin which were out on the street didn't fare so well.  There was trash and recyclables ALL over the neighborhood! Anyway, back to the light!!!

We obviously need to get a new bulb for it but here's a good close-up shot. It was hanging a little lopsided but we're hoping it straightens itself out over time and isn't because the glass is thicker on one side of the bubble than the other.

It is so nice to have a light back (doing dishes at night without that light was annoying) and we're both very happy with how it looks! 

And since we got a new camera, I tried out the manual focus on these pretty pink flowers we picked up a couple weeks ago (they're lasting forever!). 

This new camera (almost a couple months old) is like a 1000 times better than the old one. Now the photographer (aka ME) has to get better with it. 

So how was your weekend? Have you taken a photography class? My blog friend Amber over at German Jello Salad took one from Shoot Fly Shoot (from Kevin of The Lettered Cottage) and loved it. Who went to a Super Bowl party? We didn't even watch but I'm sure I'm missing out on all the good Super Bowl food!!

Crystal



P.s. If you've made it this far today, I think you totally deserve to know (and I'm sure you're just dying too!) what the references were to the children's musicals in my last post. First, I mentioned putting the Giant Lunar Moth on a wall - well, you can't because it is this ginormous fictional moth from Dr. Doolittle (the one with Rex Harrison). The second was the saying "quick as you can say Bob's your uncle" - that is from Mary Poppins and is said by Bert is said during the chalk pavement pictures scene.

16 comments:

  1. Cristal I love the pendant light !!! Your kitchen to see beautiful whit light and the pink flower
    Angelica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the flowers! I wish I could put them throughout the house but our 18 month old boy would get them and throw them on the floor!

      Delete
  2. Nice update Crystal and Aaron! Your kitchen is looking so much fresher...definitely breathing so new life into it.

    I knew the Giant Lunar Moth had to be the other reference!!! I just didn't know which one and I didn't cheat with Google!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly but surely! How did you hold back from checking Google! LOL

      Delete
  3. Yes, I know! Google IS practically a reflexive action for me. Just keepin' honest since it was a contest. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the light! It looks great. Sent you a big like on FB too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisann and thanks for joining me on Facebook!

      Delete
  5. I love the new pendant! I agree, it makes washing thoughs dishes a lot easier when you can see whats stuck on them! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the light and your open shelving together. Looks awesome!
    I just posted about wanting to learn how to take better photos as well and have heard about Shoot Fly Shoot. Centsational Girl blogged about that. I feel like some of my photos are just not acceptable LOL.
    (hmmm that was from Marry Poppins...good to know)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I'll have to see what Centsational Girl had to say about that! You and me are always on the same blog train of thought! LOL

      Delete
  7. Love your new light! It looks great! Hope it evens out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I keep thinking we need to replace the light over our kitchen sink too. It's pretty low on the list for now though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the light - so pretty. And those flowers aren't too shabby either. LOL!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choice! And you kitchen is really cute =)
    I will like you on FB once I get home from work!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you've got something you want to say or ask or anything at all (obviously within reason), leave me a note!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...