Thursday, March 21, 2013

DIY Beni Ouarain Moroccan Rug

Guys, I'm really excited to show you a project I spent the last couple of nights working on. I even had some fun styling up the photo to show off our "new" rug. I actually entered this side table styling into Emily Henderson's nightstand styling contest (yes, I realize it isn't technically acting as a nightstand but I'd like to think Emily would be like "awwww how sweet, this poor girl is trying so hard, she styled a side table"). Anyway, I'd LOVE IT if you went here and voted for me!!

I've loved the diamond design of the Beni Ouarain rug forever (like lots and lots of people before me and still to come), I just hadn't figured out how to get one into my home until now! Here's some of my favorites and inspiration for this DIY project.


I'd love for any of these rooms with the Beni Ouarain rug to be mine.

{Jenna Lyons - Living Etc}

That pirate ship chandelier in this room is a treasure chest full of gold. I'd follow any map to find it.

{Jonathan Adler}



{Palmer Weiss}

Emily just recently showed this space that she styled. She's just awesome.
designlovefest living room
{via style by Emily Henderson, photo by Laure Joliet}

I wonder if Jonathan and Simon want a roommate. I'll move in.

{via Architectural Digest, Jonathan Adler's Summer Retreat, photo by Joshua McHugh}

These rugs, especially the vintage ones, run thousands of dollars but you can find them cheaper but obviously not genuine (which are made by the Berber tribes of the North-Eastern Middle Atlas Mountains in Morocco). This one from RugsUSA runs $307 for a 4x6'.
{via Rugs USA}

But I didn't want to spend $307 to get one and I already owned an ivory colored rug that I'd been thinking about stenciling/painting (in some way). So when it occurred to me just over 48 hours ago that I could DIY my own Beni Ouarain rug, I jumped at the chance.

 I bought this Adum Ikea rug for the Archer's room soon after he was born (18-ish months ago) so that our feet wouldn't get cold on the hardwood floors while having to stand and rock our baby. It is plush, soft and a little bigger than 4x6'. Since I'd be working on this at night while Archer was sleeping, we brought it down to the living room to work.

It has a high pile so even though I was contemplating stenciling/painting it, I had always been worried about paint gunking it up and looking really messy. But what about a black sharpie?
 

To get started, I had my engineer husband sketch out the rug, giving me the measurements for the lines to make the diamond design. I made a small mark on the underside of the rug at each point showing us where to start the drawing the line.

To get straight lines, we taped it going diagonally from a mark on the short side to the corresponding mark on the long side, only doing one direction at a time. And I feel like I should mention that although I was going for straight lines, the wonderful thing about a real Beni Ouarain rug is that they aren't perfect and have character through the crooked lines and different sized diamonds.

I went along each strip of tape with a sharpie marker that we already had, making sure to always stay on the same side of the tape. I sort of went back and forth, almost like I was scrubbing the rug with the marker, while holding the tape down until I felt like enough black was on the rug.  The scrubbing motion gets the black on the whole length of the pile, but not completely, making it more realistic.

One of the best things about using the sharpie, is that it dries immediately so I just removed the tape as I went, saving it so that I could reuse it for marking the lines in the other direction and when I was done for the night, I just folded up the rug for the night so I wouldn't have to worry about the kids messing it up or a cat barfing on it mid-project (you know they would!).

Since I'd never done this before, I was a bit unsure of how'd it turn out but after doing the stripes in just one direction, I was very happy with how it working. Aaron even said that he'd been skeptical but that it was turning out great.

The next night, which was last night, we laid the tape out going the other direction and I got to work while Pride and Prejudice, the BBC version, was on in the background.

Almost done! The work (especially after the excitement of the first night wore off) was admittedly a bit tedious and my neck, wrist and forearm are sore. Also, I'm pretty sure I killed a few brain cells after having my nose right in the sharpie smell for so long. 

After work and dinner tonight, I scrambled around to get it set up in Archer's room while practicing my styling skills before the sun went totally down. Now this is not what his room normally looks like. If I'd left it like this, everything would have been on the floor, the little lady bust would be shattered, the books might have bent or ripped pages and he'd probably put a whole through the painting. He definitely makes decorating hard!


Anyway, here's a close up. It doesn't quite have the shaggy, sheepskin look that some genuine ones do but then again, our rug doesn't shed. And in case you're wondering, it doesn't smell like a sharpie marker and I don't have to worry about the lines rubbing off onto our socks or clothes. Plus there's always the fact that this project was free to me. I think the rug was around $80 when I got it so my DIY version was about $220 cheaper than the cheap versions and thousands of dollars cheaper than the real thing. 

So, anyone else bang out a project fast lately? I'm really trying to embrace my ideas and just do them, rather than doing something easier or safer. If that makes sense. Any other Beni Ouarain rug lovers out there? Have a wonderful weekend guys!!

♥Crystal

P.s. Don't forget to go here and vote for me!!!!

 Linking up to That DIY Party at DIYShowoff 

35 comments:

  1. I just voted! And the rug looks awesome. I DIYed a painted rug 2-3 years ago and I still love it, I'm sure you'll love yours for many years to come because you did it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ainhoa!! I actually checked out your rug the other day!!! Can't remember how I got to it but I thought it was awesome!!

      Delete
  2. It looks awesome. The orange touch of the throw in the photo gives it the prefect pop of color.
    Welcome to the Sharpie projects, I bet you can't stop now and have to Sharpie up something else. I think they are addictive.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Julia - I totally thought of you while doing this since you're the last person I remember doing a sharpie project. I did use it on my growth chart but that wasn't as suprising since I was actually writing with it. LOL

      I'm off to Sharpie - have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  3. Cristal guauuuu I was thinking about getting a similar now I think I'll make a. has been lovely. I was to copy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow girl, that was gutsy! And totally the right move. That looks amazing!

    My projects have been... non-existent lately. I don't know what's happened to me. Hopefully by Monday I can get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've been busy girl! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Crystal! This is awesome! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tracie and I you made my day pinning it!

      Delete
  6. LOVE IT, Crystal!!! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom...are you just saying that because you have to? LOL

      Delete
  7. I've always been a fun of these rugs, I can't believe you just created your own; it's beautiful and you styled it well! I will go and vote now! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for voting Ingrid - I know I won't win but it is fun to try!

      Delete
  8. Amazing! Great job, Crystal! I love the look of the Beni's but not their price tags. This is a definite must-do DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You pinned it!!! So awesome and thank you!

      Delete
  9. Awesome!! You are brave, but it paid off. What a savings and it looks great.
    PS-love the chair! ;) Oh, and I'll go vote!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Voted! I just LOVE your sense of style and craftiness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Jen! You're pretty crafty yourself!

      Delete
  11. I couldn't wait to get over her and see your Sharpie project. I tried to leave comment last night, but my cookie blocker was being overprotective. You have some skills and imagination lady...great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn cookie blocker! Yours might be cooler than mine and definitely more difficult/intense! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. That is completely amazing. WOW!!! You should submit that over at IKEA hackers.net.

    Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously you made my night!!! I just submitted it - so I guess we'll see!

      Delete
  13. now THAT is a good diy! super smart and super do-able. love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So creative! It's gorgeous! I.love.it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those rugs posted in your blog are very nice and I think it has a good quality and durable. I would like to have one of that. How much the cost of this? Thank you so much for sharing!

    Persian Rug Cleaning Waukesha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your IKEA Hack feature Crystal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a creative idea, I love the rug!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a very beautiful DIY rug. Would this work on this shag too: http://www.ecarpetgallery.com/products/Karma-Cream-Modern-Rectangular-Shag-6-7-x-9-6--55388.html?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a pretty good chance it wood. I'm sure my is also poly although I didn't check. Good luck!

      Delete
  19. Fine Quality, The touch ,Really I Love My Moroccan Rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just awesome. Loved the way you coloured it and made it look beautiful. Really a great idea for those who would love to have vintage rugs at home and do not want to spend much. Moroccan rug is always my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So funny. I was checking my rankings on Google for my DIY Moroccan rug and spotted yours. I wanted to stop by and show you mine! http://amykrist.org/2013/10/diy-sharpie-moroccan-shag-rug/ Amy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you've got something you want to say or ask or anything at all (obviously within reason), leave me a note!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...