I last showed you the back door that we painted which was the first in a series of things that I wanted to do get our back hall/laundry area up to snuff. (P.s. I'm thinking about using this Derbyshire color to paint something in Archer's room - I love to find more uses for paint that is already paid for!)
Once the door was done (the trim was painted), we moved onto the next project back here! Making a built in pantry inspired by this picture. So a few weeks back we did the first step which was to build a wall which only cost us twenty bucks since we already had most of the materials.
Here's the step where we actually had to purchase a couple of things...two 2x4s and some lag bolts (I think that was what they were called - Aaron's Dad told us what to get here).
Once the "wall" was built, the drywall went up. These were leftover pieces from when we built the fridge pocket.
So the space between the new wall on the left and the old wall on the right (which isn't an old wall at all, we bumped out the original wall to that spot when doing the fridge pocket a year ago) is going to be the built-in pantry.
The last of the quick stuff was to add the metal flashing to the corner of the drywall. Everything up until this point was done in a day.
Once Aaron was done spackling the wall, the next step before building the guts of the pantry was to paint the room. My Mom visited us for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago and she helped get it done. So nice to have help especially since this small, awkward space was weird to paint since the washer and dryer had to be moved around. I used SW's Incredible White (which I've also used in the dining room but I haven't showed you yet :).
With the room painted, we moved back to the pantry. We wanted to be able to hang up some hooks on the outside of the pantry so we put some extra 2x4s in the wall so we'd have something to hang stuff into.
Then added plywood to the insides. For this we had to buy a new sheet of Purebond which was about $45 I think. We did have HD rip it for us but Aaron did spend some time getting scribed to the wall and flush on the outside. He's a good man. :)
Of course nothing can go to smoothly without issue. Aaron managed to put this big hole in the wall. Apparently a nail went in, hit something and came out at a weird angle. I guess the good news is that it was a relatively easy fix and mostly covered up by the final trim.
The next step was to build the base which is a plywood shelf and higher quality 1x6 that we bought (we needed something with perfect edges). I think that was about $8. Arthur was Aaron's helper during this project. Notice his orange body on the shelf by Aaron's knee.
Once the bottom was solidly nailed/screwed down, we finalized where we wanted to place the shelves and Aaron started drilling holes for the shelf pegs. The are sort of movable. The aren't going to be screwed into place but if we want to move a shelf, we'll have to drill new peg holes.
Here's a close up of the pegs. The package didn't say how much weight they can hold up but we think they'll be fine, especially since we're using solid 3/4" plywood for the shelves.
Here she is!! We're so in love with it and it will only grow deeper after we get it painted and can start using it! I'm planning on painting the inside and all the trim the same black that I painted our kitchen cabinets.
This is the view from the kitchen doorway. The kids have already had fun climbing and hiding on the bottom shelf and Aaron even suggested making the bottom a cat bed (which it won't be) so it is pretty much a success for the whole family.
We've taken off the work week from working on this other than starting to patch up the paint holes. We still need to caulk the seems and then I'll prime and paint it. Not sure how far we'll get on that this weekend since we're planning a trip to Newport on Saturday. We shall see!!
Here's a quick to do list for this room:
Patch up walls Paint trim, window and door Paint walls
- Touch up ceiling paint, maybe do something special up there
Buildand paint pantry
- Add hooks for bags,
put the laundry shelf back upand get this drying rack. Put up new curtains(I used this fabric to do this but I don't have any pictures yet)
- Add some art
- Change the flooring (this should happen same time as ktichen but I'm not sure when yet)